Monday, February 06, 2006

a reminder from my friend...

My friend Erika reminded me of a few things a couple of weeks ago...and it's stuff I don't want to forget. It is such an encouragement to have people walking in this journey with me.

Remember Cor - we're working on healthful living. Making lifestyle changes that effect all areas of our life, not just our weight. You're making your heart healthier (the #1 killer of women is heart disease), you're making your lungs stronger, your bones stronger. These are all more important than whether or not we fit in a certain size. Weight loss is a fringe benefit, remember? The goal is healthy living, not weight loss. Having said that.... remember you are weight training. Muscle is smaller than fat, but weighs MORE than fat. You may have only lost 3 lbs over all..... but you may have lost 8lbs of fat and gained 5 lbs of muscle. Instead of going by the scale, why not take your measurements once a week. I find that to be WAY more encouraging than the scale. Cuz one week the scale may not budge, but your waist may have shrank an inch. Didn't you tell me you had pants that were fitting that didn't before?? Obviously you ARE changing your body! No matter what the scale says!!! This is for life. Healthy living is not dictated by the scale, mood or current activities. It's for life!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you posted this! I'm doing weight watchers and I, too, can lose sight of the "overall" goal at times. Thanks!